Wednesday, August 7, 2013

SLMS Interview-Beth Gordon


REOL 536

Beth Gordon

SLMS Interview: Questions and Responses

 

1. What is the hardest aspect of being a librarian?

-You are the only person in your building that does what you do and you seldom have a chance to plan and collaborate with teachers.  There are also many time constraints.  You have to teach a lesson and check out books in 30 minutes and it is rather difficult.

2. How do you keep all the books organized so well?

-I use the library organization systems, but also created short-cuts to help with AR levels for quick selections for all the students.  There are color and symbol codes for AR purpose, and to help younger students. 

3. What do find children enjoy reading the most?

-I have found that children enjoy short books and usually things that have been commercialized by movies.  A lot of boys also enjoy non-fiction.

4. What made you want to be a librarian?

-I have always enjoyed reading and used a lot of children’s literature in the classroom when I taught.  Ironically, I have less time to read now then I used to.

5. What is your favorite section of the library?

- Fiction-I have always been a big fan of mystery and historical fiction.

6. What is your favorite thing to teach in the library?

-I really enjoy reading aloud to the younger students and making the story come to life; using expressions and other dramatic features.

-I really believe that a library should have a fixed and flex schedule, it is important to meet with all students during the week, but also equally important that the library is open to students to drop in on an as-needed basis.



 

1 comment:

  1. These were ok questions to find out about her job. I hope you also learned how she can help you in yours!

    ReplyDelete